Friday, March 25, 2011

A Careless Smoker, Destruction & an Angel's Visit

It was a dark and stormy night and -- A gentle knock on the door, 11:40 at night, two little old ladies were enjoying the opening monologue of Jay Leno. We looked at each other and wondered who it might be. Another gentle knock. I rise, a little trepidatious, opening the door to a young man in his early 20s.
"I'm sorry if I woke you up, Ma'am, but did you know your front yard is on fire?" In stunned silence, I look at his concerned face and he seems to be glowing. By moving my head just a little to the right, the glow becomes something like this

behind him!

"Oh, my goodness, no." I reply, calmly, so as not to alarm him, "I had no idea! Be right with you."

It probably wasn't as big a fire as the burning of Atlanta, but, so far as I was concerned, it was on MY property and, until it was contained, it WAS Atlanta! Someone had tossed a lighted cigarette out their window and, with just enough wind, caught a drought-stressed lawn and leaves afire. I had taken my longest hose to the back yard for gardening just that morning and was now frantically trying to find it in the dark (I knew I should have replaced that bulb, last month) without tripping over -- well, my own feet, for that matter.

Meanwhile, my sister had given the kind young man a teaspoonful of water pitcher for water to start putting out the fire. Once the hose was attached to the front faucet, things became a little less frenetic. But, in just a short time, I had lost one of my driveway markers.
But, apparently, I got off lucky. When I shared this moment with another friend, they said the same thing had happened to their neighbor but he wasn't home and the fire took most of his front yard and jumped over to the neighbor's on the other side and, by the time the Fire Department arrived, his car had been engulfed in flames! All because some idiot couldn't use their ashtray. 

Now, I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the driveway marker, whose companion looks like this

or come up with something different. Maybe, it's time for solar lights.

I'm a very lucky woman. If that young man hadn't stopped to let me know about the fire, things could have been so much worse. He didn't have to stop but he did. We were truly touched by an Angel.


  1. So glad you escaped disaster. Thank heaven for guardian angels.

  2. Gosh that's quite scary!! What an idiot that person must be but I'm glad that everything is ok now. Thank goodness for guardian angels xx

  3. WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder i get so irritated when i see people throw their lighted cigs out the window. Glad the result wasn't worse!

  4. Yikes! That was a close call. Praise God for His angels :-)

  5. Angels are always around us!

    Alex from Breakfast Every Hour was here.