Thursday, April 7, 2011

G is for Gardening Comfort in the A-Z Blogging Challenge



Gardening used to be quite a chore, when I was growing up. Enough of a chore that I stayed away from it for many years because of the backbreaking labor involved and the vagaries of a good harvest, in spite of the work put into fertilizing, watering, cajoling, praying, gnashing of teeth, and the neighbor's pets thinking they had their own private bathroom! 

The years passed and I ultimately got back to putting my hands in that wonderful dirt and nurturing the seeds planted; but, AHA! now, I had an opportunity to do something different and make my gardening chores so much easier. The first thing I did when I moved into my home was build a waist high 6' x 24' container garden. Using the same French Intensive Gardening Method of building up soil layers that I used in Virginia, it has served me well for these past six years and I look forward to many more years of service. A quick turn of the shovel mid-January and all is ready for the next year's crops of fresh salad greens and vegetables. With just 144 squart feet of space, I can harvest almost 640 square feet of food. Now, that's just cool.

And, here it is from the other end. This was my garden in 2010. As you can see, waist high is great for just reaching in for the veggies (like a grocery store) and getting eye-to-eye with a few bees, on occasion!


Are you ready to try your own hand at easy gardening? Check out this post for a no digging, no shovel super easy way of doing a Lasagna garden! 

*****

See that The A-Z Blogging Challenge button on the right? With more than 1100 bloggers participating, there's bound to be someone you'll discover by just clicking on the Next Blog or Surprise Me button.

7 comments:

  1. A most lovely post, I love to potter in the garden , plant the plants and watch the birds and wildlife, Thanks for such a refreshing post,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow A-Z challenger here. Enjoyed your post. I too have raised planters, but never thought of raising them to waist height. I think I will do that this spring. It sure would save my back. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Your garden looks lovely. Alas, I have no garden :(

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea for a very possible garden. Sadly my husband has no balance, so any garden is out of the question, but he does love to sit there in our few months of warmth and we have someone who keeps the place tidy every new season. Kind regards, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! My husband runs a horticulture program for special ed kids and went to hear a speaker about "square foot gardening" which was very interesting--we have more ability to grow food than we know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´ll have to start planning something like that for myself soon. I will get problems further on in life to get down on my knees to get rid of weeds.

    Have a great day now!
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really good idea. We have containers built with pavers. They look pretty, and we didn't have to dig.

    ReplyDelete